On Tenerife and La Gomera you will find all the uniquely fascinating landscapes of the Canary Islands quite close together. Both islands are volcanic in origin, but with very different countryside.
Tenerife is dominated by colourful lava fields, vast and barren, at the foot of Spain’s highest peak: El Teide. The neighbouring island of La Gomera is the greenest of the “Canarias”, carpeted with dense vegetation in its mysterious laurel woods, where centuries-old trees clothed in moss give the impression of a tropical rain forest. Equally beautiful are the sculpted landscapes in the valleys, where humans have constructed terraces for exotic plantations of banana, papaya and mango trees. In sharp contrast to Gomera’s barren coastline of steep cliffs and hidden coves. Both islands offer endless opportunities for hiking, with temperate sunny weather throughout the year.
Arrival at TFS airport and transfer to the high village of Vilaflor where you’ll spend 3 nights at the welcoming hotel, with garden and swimming pool.
After a short 10min transfer, you begin an intriguing walk through a veritable “moonscape” (‘Paisaje Lunar’) north of Vilaflor, following well-maintained way-marked tracks / paths. Pleasant pine woods and striking views over strange volcanic rock and southern Tenerife. At the end, you walk back to the hotel.
This morning you take the bus to the Parador at El Teide. A 2,5-hour circular walk at Roques de Garcia, near the Parador. Another option is to be dropped of at the cable car and do a short walk (max 1hr) around the peak (at an elevation of 3500m!) then walk from the lower cable car station back to the Parador (1,5hrs). Last bus for Vilaflor leaves the Parador at 16hrs!
After an early breakfast, you have a 30min private transfer to Los Cristianos harbour to get the first ferry to La Gomera (9.00 or 9.30hrs / travel time is approx. 40min). In San Sebastián de la Gomera, a taxi will be waiting to take you to El Contadero, a remote crossroads high up in Garajonay National Park.
From there you do a 4,5-hour walk down to Hermigua. The first section (2,5hrs) is a long but easy descent on wide footpaths through the magical laurel wood. Near El Cedro, you do a short steep section on a stony, stepped path then continue on quiet inland roads to reach your comfortable and charming rural hotel in Hermigua. For dinner you have several options near the accommodation.
Note: Ferry departures may change during the season and are always on request. If you want to have a rest day and prefer to book an afternoon ferry, please let us know at the time of booking.
Highly recommended: Optional 4x4 and walking excursion with local guide, to see beautiful “hidden spots” in Garajonay National Park. Pick-up is at the harbor in San Sebastian (you must get the first ferry). At the end of the day you’ll be driven to your hotel in Hermigua. This optional activity is 25€ p.p. and must be booked in advance with us.
A circular route, going north from Hermigua past abandoned village along the stunning coastline. Spectacular views of Tenerife and El Teide peak. You alternate between wide dirt tracks and stony footpaths; all are well-marked, and protected by wooden railings on exposed sections near sheer drops. The last section takes you through papaya and mango fields in the valley.
Morning transfer to the Garajonay Visitors’ Centre at “Juego de Bolas”, where you can marvel at the tropical flowers in their botanical garden. Then you begin an easy route on a long-distance hiking path, the GR-132, to Vallehermosa. Along the way you pass 2 Natural Monuments, Roque Blanco and Roque Cano, before your descent into the lush valley of Vallehermoso. After a refreshing drink on the village square, transfer back to your hotel in Hermigua.
Transfer to Degollada de la Peraza for an easy but very rewarding, panoramic descent. It’s 4 to 4,5hrs on the GR-131 to reach San Sebastian, where you spend your last night at a comfortable hotel*** near the harbour.
This morning you have a 10min walk to the harbor, to get the ferry back to Tenerife. At Los Cristianos, a taxi will be waiting to take you to Tenerife Sur airport.
7 night accommodation in rural hotels with ensuite facilities and B&B basis
This sunny and bright structure is located in a very good panoramic position: in sunny days you can have a beautiful view on the ocean, otherwise with covered sky you can attend the particular "sea of clouds". Rooms are spacious enough. The hotel has a garden and a patio where you can relax after a walking day.
This is a rural welcoming hotel with coloured and funtional rooms. Owners are kind and helpful. The hotel has a inner courtyard and inner bar, TV, free Wifi.
This is a modern and functional hotel in the city center of San Sebastian with spacious rooms recently renovated , well-furnished and comfortable. Behind rooms overlooking the garden with the access to it. Breakfast is rich and the staff is courteous.
GPS tracks available on request.
What is included:
· 7-night accommodation in rural hotels with ensuite facilities and B&B basis
· 3 dinners
· Transfers from Tenerife Sur airport to first hotel, in Vilaflor, on day 1; from Vilaflor to the start of your walk on day 2; Vilaflor to the harbour at Los Cristianos and San Sebastian de la Gomera to start of your walk on day 4; from Hermigua to Juego de Bolas, and back to Vallehermoso on day 6; from Hermigua to start of your walk on day 7; from Los Cristianos harbour to Tenerife Sur airport on day 8
· Detailed route descriptions and maps
· 24-hour telephone assistance
What is not included:
· Bus tickets from Vilaflor to El Teide and v.v
· Transfer from Tenerife North airport to first accommodation. There is a supplement of 55€ per booking for this service.
· Visits and entrance fees - tips
· Anything not specified under "The price includes"
These services can be added to the ones included in the base price of the tour:
· Optional guided excursion through Garajonay National Park (day 4) = supplement of 25,00 € p.p. (must be booked in advance);
· Cable car ticket to and from El Teide (26 €, may be booked via S-cape or directly online by client).
· Optional private taxi transfer from Vilaflor to El Teide = 35 € one way (book in advance)
· Private transfer from Los Cristianos harbour to Tenerife-Norte airport = supplement of €55
· Private transfer from Tenerife-Norte airport to the first hotel = supplement of 55 €
· Extra nights can be booked in El Medano near Tenerife Sur airport or La Laguna near Tenerife North airport.
Note: if you have a very early flight on day 8, you should change the last night in San Sebastian for an overnight stay in El Medano, close to Tenerife Sur airport. Extra cost for this option is approx. 15,- euros p.p. The ferry ticket and taxi transfer will be booked accordingly (no extra cost).